Thursday, October 16, 2008

Dial-Up Servers

Not so long ago, a familiar ringing sound would be heard whenever we would go online. It was even popularized by the movie of Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks, You've Got Mail. You get connected by buying pre-paid internet cards or if you're one of those people who's not afraid to get their accounts hacked and pay 10,000 pesos for using the internet 24/7 when clearly you didn't (this happened to us when we were still in postpaid connection). Sometimes it would take a hundred years before you can get through because you'd always get a busy line when you're trying to use the dial-up server. This sucks big time! I even remember trying to go online when I was unaware that my brother was using the phone. I heard him through the modem talking to his girlfriend and then the modem starts dialing the number for the dial-up server. LOL.

So anyway, those days are clearly gone with the emergence of cable, broadband internet with their CAT6 cables with their speedy, unlimited use of the internet. It is sometimes annoying when the connection tends to be so turtle-paced or worse, there's no connection at all. Still, I prefer the internet connection today because I get to multi-task while I'm online. Talking to a friend on the phone and chatting with others online.

0 comments: