Friday, September 26, 2008

Missing the Dragonflies


I was up early this morning. Shocking I know. I had to drop off A to the shuttle terminal and feed and walk the dog. While feeding the dog, I was looking at the different flowers looking fresh from the rainfall last night.

Then something distracted me. It was a bluegreen dragonfly. A tutubi in my native language. I was steady for a moment and observed where it landed. No, I was not scared but merely afraid that it might fly away. It's been a while since I've seen these flying in our garden. And I can only blame myself and my other playmates when we were still kids.

You see, when we were still kids we would catch these dragonflies and tie a string on the end part of their body. I know, I know... it's cruel. We were young and ignorant back then. My apologies to the dragonfly kingdom. But in my defense, I really didn't hurt them. I let them go after playing with them and they're still in tact -- they can still fly afterwards.

This is why I guess after how many years, it is only seldom that I see dragonflies in our neighborhood. I do hope they visit us again. I miss seeing them around. I promise I won't tie them up.

0 comments: