Thursday, July 3, 2008

10-20 and chinese garter

I feel sad for those kids who have not experienced playing games other than those that need electricity. Most of the kids today are updated when it comes to video games. It is seldom that I see kids running around on the streets playing.

One of my favorite games in the 80's was 10-20 and chinese garter. I'm sure the girls are familiar with these because we would be playing this game at recess time in school, while waiting for the school bus, during the afternoon after coming home from schoolrarely do I see then a guy playing these two games. Hehe!

These games are played using a simple piece of garter or rubber bands (about 7-10 feet long) linked together and then joined at the end to form a circle. The garter is held by one person at each end. For 10-20, the player will have to do 10 jumps per level. The counting starts at 10... 20...30... and so on. Thus the name of the game, 10-20. The objective of the game is for each player to do the jumps correctly as the garter is gradually raised from ankle level, knee level to "under the pwet" (LOL!) then waist, chest level, neck and lastly the head level. The same goes for chinese garter but instead of doing 10 jumps to finish each level, a single jump over the garter is needed.

Kids playing 10-20


Chinese garter


I was more of a pro when it comes to chinese garter. I was able to jump till the neck level without doing the cartwheel. Naks yabang! When in school, we would remove our shoes while playing because it's easier to jump with them on. That's why my mom would get mad at me, pano ba naman mukhang maglalakad na mag-isa ang socks ko sa dumi. Bwahahaha!

Kayo, hanggang sang level kayo?

** Photos courtesy of Google search.

0 comments: