Thursday, May 1, 2008

Easy Call, Pocketbell and Powerpage


"Where are you? I'm already here at our meeting place."

"I'll call you when I get home."

"Dad, please buy me one large fries, medium rootbeer and a hot fudge sundae. Thanks!"


These are just a few of the messages that operators from paging companies would hear from me back in the mid 90's. The emergence of pagers here in our country have somewhat made contacting our loved ones, colleagues and friends a biteasier. There are however three drawbacks that I can think of when it comes to using a pager.

1.) Cell phones aren't yet that common at that time. It is only the rich and very busy people who own cell phones back then. So it's difficult to receive an urgent message because I'd still be unable to reply right away.

2.) You really can't say everything to the operator. There are just some words that should be said in person instead of having a complete stranger type it away and send it to the recepient.

3.) Lastly, some operators from the paging companies sometimes appear to have hearing problems. I have received a couple of messages that just didn't make any sense. Or maybe it was the sender of the message that has a speech defect. LOL!

Despite these flaws of the paging system, I used mine for almost two years when I was in college. The only time that I decided to have it disconnected was when cell phones became the "in thing".

This is what mine looked like except mine was transparent and I bought extra body casing in yellow and white. Arte ko talaga! Haha!

0 comments: