Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Haw Haw de Carabao


I remember pretending to be receiving holy communion (don't tell father..) whenever my friend would give me some Haw Flakes. Sometimes we even fall in line just to have some of these yummy candy. But is it a candy or is it something else?

As I was writing this entry, it dawned on me that I have no idea what these Haw Flakes are made of. As per my research on the internet, specifically Wikipedia, Haw Flakes are made from the fruit named Chinese Hawthorn which is a bright red fruit about 1.5 inches in diameter. According to research, the fruit was said to show anti-tumor activities on the skin which is great for skin cancer patients. However, I also found out that Haw Flakes coming from China were seized and banned by the US Food and Drug Administration because it contains a red dye called Ponceau 4R. This dye is said to induce allergic reactions and may intensify asthma symptoms.

Ok... Now we know. Problem is, do you still want to eat Haw Flakes after knowing that? I think I would if it doesn't contain Ponceau 4R. :)

0 comments: